The main Objectives of Criminal Justice System can be categorized as follows:
- To prevent the occurrence of crime.
- To punish the transgressors and the criminals.
- To rehabilitate the transgressors and the criminals.
- To compensate the victims as far as possible.
- To maintain law and order in the society.
- To deter the offenders from committing any criminal act in the future.
Criminal Justice System as a Filtering Process
Key Players in Criminal Justice System :
>> PUBLIC PROSECUTOR
>> DEFENSE LAWYER
1) POLICE : Investigate the case,
Arrest the accused,
Collect the evidence,
Keep the peace,
Provide social services.
2) PUBLIC PROSECUTOR :
- Lawyers who represent the state and conduct criminal cases against defendants,
- The role of the Prosecutor begins once the police filed the chargesheet in the court,
- The Prosecutor must conduct the prosecution on behalf of the Police investigation,
- It is his/her duty to present all the facts, witnesses and evidence before the court
- He/She has the right to a speedy trial
3) DEFENSE LAWYER:
- Represent the accused after arrest to give advice,
Investigate details of the offense on behalf of the accused,
- Discuss the case with the prosecutor and test the strength of the state’s case,
- Represent the accused at bail hearings,
Represent the accused at trial Present an appeal.
4) JUDGE :
- The judge is like an umpire in the Court,
- The judge hears all the witnesses and see the evidence presented by the both parties,
- The judge decides whether the accused person is guilty or innocent,
- If the accused is convicted, then the judge pronounces the sentence,
- He may send the person to jail or impose a fine or both according to the law prescribes